Monday, February 07, 2005

Introducing The Blank Page

the blank page...

through this blog I would like to take the time to explore my creative journey. For too long now I have been going to 'make a start' - and it is that start that has been proving to be the most difficult and elusive part. Hence the name - the blank page. Before any creative endeavors there is always a 'blank page' in some form or another.

Over the year I have had an interest in fabric - not so much from the direct sewing side of things but more from design etc. I had a fledgling interest in printing on fabric and gave batik (wax resist) a try. Realised quite quickly however that it was the wrong time (small children -limited space) to explore that medium more fully. It was put aside and I then went onto cross stitch embrodiery - more portable and time lenient. And for quite a while I was content to just 'mess around' not doing much of anything.

Life changed and while I didn't return to hand crafts - they were not entirely forgotten. In the meanwhile I had attended craft shows and developed more than a passing interest in quilts. I kept telling everyone - or was it myself - that while I 'loved to look' I doubted that I would ever 'do'.

Over the last three years I have come 'full circle'. I believe this has happened for a number of reasons, some of which are related and some not. But for what ever reason I feel more willing to explore this world - if only to work it out of my system. I feel like a kid in a sweet shop - everything appeals to me. Perhaps rather than put pressure on myself I will just 'play' with what ever takes my fancy and see what happens...

I also have an 'constant itch' that refuses to be sated regarding my writing. I have 'fiddled' for more time than I care to think doing bits here and there. I even started a tafe course designed for writers, but for what ever reason I was not ever fully comfortable with it. My main interest in writing lies with the older children/young adult market. Whilst I read everything and just about anything it is that genre that interests me the most. Some years ago as part of the course I began a novel aimed at the 10 through to 13/14 age group. Never finished it was consigned to the 'bottom draw', however of late I have began to re think it and would also like to 'play' again with it. Hmmm... More thought here... I have a feeling that by doing so that at last 'the beast' will fall from my back and I will be free.

And so the blank page turns...

No comments: