Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Reflective Thoughts

I have been very reflective the last few days... Then the comment I received from fridayjulyeighth certainly 'hit home'... I can keep talking about creating - but it is the actual 'doing' which is the important aspect... Until I 'do', then talk and lament is all that I will ever do... I keep waiting for the right moment - but when is the right moment - and more importantly will I know it when it finally arrives... Who was it that said the 'creation was 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration' I guess that statement in its own ways sorts the ' the doers from the non doers'...

For instance - years ago I bought a triangular plate with faces... I bought initially because I like its design... Over the years as I have looked at it at various times I have always thought of all the other great applications could be made from it... And how with a little 'playing' with could become a great cushion or even quilt design taking into account both the shape of the plate and the faces... Faces have always fascinated me - my windcheater painting days always saw me drawn to faces. I somehow felt a real 'connection' as I painted them - layer upon layer of paint would reveal the character... I digress... Back to the plate...

Yesterday I studied the plate, - then it hit me!!!! Both the shape and design would lend itself perfectly to crazy patchwork... I could see 'it'... My latest greatest passion is crazy patchwork - I have loved it for ages but felt that I wouldn't be able to do it.. Too difficult, never done it before, etc... A revelation!!! Why didn't I just simply 'have a go' - 'what did I have to lose' and then think about 'what could I learn from it' ... So that is what I am up to... I have an idea, a plan and I will go as far as it takes me...

1 comment:

Linda said...

Just imagine how much wonder and excitement you have in front of you with crazy patching - you can just jump in, with no rules, and go for it - I am trying to avoid cliches, mind. :)

It is a wonderful path down which you can stroll, walk or sprint.

Enjoy, take photos, and do let us see how your own individual style develops - I am so glad I still have my first ever piece of crazy patchwork - but i do wish I had documented and at least kept photos of some that came after that!

It is a wonderful field of art - enjoy! I shall enjoy following what promises to be a very thought-provoking blog.