Sunday, March 13, 2005

The Morning After...

Well it is all over... All those months of planning and stressing are behind us and we all bask in the afterglow of success...

The bride was beautiful, the groom was handsome, the location was just lovely... The day went well - there were some hitches- but they were overcome and we all moved on...

When they arrived walking through an avenue of trees holding hands I knew they had made the right choice about arriving together. They seemed so content and so contained within each other. I could see a very firm union there - no longer boyfriend and girlfriend - but a couple ready to make a serious committment to each other...

I know every mother thinks that their daughter looks like a princess on their wedding day and I am no exception. When I first saw her - just for a moment my heart and time stood still - I catapulted through time from the day she was born to present time. Here before me stood the woman she was destine to become. And with very mixed emotions - some of joy and some of grief - I loved her even more. I saw something else too - a little harder to put into words - perhaps the story of Demeter and how she 'gave' her daughter over to the underworld for a period of time each year - springs to mind. Perhaps that is not the best example - but best describes the sense of 'loss' I feel. Yet I know I haven't lost her - she has simply moved onto another part of her life... I find it hard to define what it is I feel - she has lived away from home for four years, so it is not like I miss her living with me...


Again I am at a loss for words... Perhaps she has been this way for a long time but it was only yesterday I saw it - a case of 'not seeing the wood for the trees' ... My 'little Mel' has turned into a 'grown up Mel' with the rest of her life in front of her... She and Dave together...

No comments: