Friday, May 20, 2005

Orange beads and yet more yarn...

I went to Go Lo tonight in the hope that they might have some cheap beads I could knit into my 'cheap' scarf... They didn't, I tried my favorite (aren't they all!!!!) op-shop in the hope that they might have had beads - also with out any luck... However in another $2 type shop they had beads for $2 a packet - each packet has twenty beads. They are round, with sort of a squiggled pattern on them and a bright orange. I will give them a go and if they don't work they will just go into my stash of for 'another day'. I seem to be gathering quite a few things for that particular stash. While in Go Lo I just happened to see more yarn that took my fancy - for someone that doesn't knit I am certainly making a good impression of it. This is much the same as the last yarn I bought but a solid colour - a clear, bright orange - normally a colour I wouldn't choose - however it looked not only cozy, but cheery as well. I am going to use the large wooden needles that I got from G - so it will knit up on a much larger stitch. Actually the beads I bought are a much better match for this yarn than the other. What have I started!!!!!! I think E despairs that her red scarf, which I started last year, will never be finished...

On my side bar I have added a 'books of interest'. The three that I have mentioned here I have borrowed from the library and it occurred to me that other people may be interested in them too. I have included the ISBN numbers as well for easier finding. The Australian Quilt Hertitage - I just missed out on ebay. It traces quilts from convict days until fairly recent times. It would be good reference type book to have on the shelf. Never mind another day. I have always like landscape depicted in embroidery - I bought a Rowan Dean kit last year at Jeff's shed - for just that reason. 'Landscape in Embroidery' it seems is a 'how to' reference book to creating your own landscape using different design and techniques. 'Embroidery Studio' is from The Embroiderers' Guild in the UK - and from a very quick flick through, it too, is a book on design and technique. From the photos it suggest that some historical pieces were used as a starting point for each contributor's work. There is whole page with black and white illustrations of peacocks motifs from various sources.

E pointed out a recently released (in Melbourne) movie that might be of some interest.
A Common Thread is a French movie based around the theme of embroidery and a young woman caught up in the age old dilemma of being pregnant and alone. From the review it seems to be very much a 'chick flick' - or perhaps when it comes out on video - a movie to embroider to.

It seems as though I will be home again this week. I will endeavour to be more organised as I felt like I squandered the time away this week. It is not like I haven't got enough to do. I think at times that is the problem, I don't know what to do first...







No comments: