Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Yesterday...

... I met with G from Patra's Place and L from Chloe's Place. I was very excited at the propect of meeting L. For months I have been reading her blog and viewing the wonderful work posted there and was trying to bring to mind all the questions I had silently asked her time and time again...

The day started with L arriving here at home where we had an introductory cuppa then we were off to G to start the day in earnest. G took us to 'Savers' - best described as op-shop emporium. A collecter's (such as our good selves) delight. There we browsed like butterflies on freshly bloomed flowers, flitting from one section to another... I bought two mens ties which took my eye - I liked one especially as it was a repeated checkered design of small 'tuscan' type house with 'shaped' trees on alternate squares... In the back of my mind I can see it might link in with a simple small sample blackwork stitchery I have had for ages... Not sure how at this stage - but any excuse!!!!! The other tie was very, very bright splotched colour - I kidded P that I had bought it for him -he who hates ties- to wear...

Onto lunch in one of the local cafes. With food and a much deserved coffee we planned our next step. On our way back to G's we stopped at another op-shop. This one, while not nearly the size of the previous one, yeilded more in the way of treasure. I was lucky enough to spot two framed pictures of houses - you couldn't tell I have a theme growing here could you. On closer inspection I discovered they were printed on fabric, then hand embroidered with flowers climbing a trellis and in the garden. Very me... I then found a very old patchwork and quilting book with reasonably clear instructions for constuctions... And I need all the clear instuctions I can find!!!! G and L also fouind some bargains... L was especially taken with hers and G and I agreed that she too, had 'done good'.

Back at G's, she and L sorted out the linen and aprons that needed to be photographed while I perused through G large collection of embroidery books. G is going to need many, many lifetimes to do even half of what she has. But I guess the pleasure is having the choice

Another cuppa and later in the afternoon we had the chance to get down to some very 'serious discussion'. L had bought some of her work for 'show and tell', and as I sat with it in my hand some of those silent questions came back to me. I felt like a kid trying to take it all in. The chicken or the egg question sprung to mind... "What comes first," I asked, "is it the design, the 'naked' patch, or is it an idea that brings it all together?" L's answer was in some ways what I had expected. "It can be either or and sometimes it can be all"... In a later discussion, she suggested that the whole thing can be about the journey and not the destination... A favorite adage of mine. "Yes," she added "I likes to see things completed but it was about what happened along the way that is equally important." As I looked and looked and looked I could see that I had a long and interesting journey ahead of me - but by the same token I could see that I was already 'home'.

To-day I have started to form some interesting questions for myself. One of which related again to a comment L made about 'the gene pool'... It in some ways goes back to the scientific debate about whether we are a product of our gene pool or the environment in which we live... For a very long time I have struggled with the question, do I want to create because of the sort of gene pool and environment I came from, or is it that there is something (artistic) in me I want to express in an particular manner. What has this got to do with stitching you might ask? I don't know at this point - but for me, it is worth pondering as I go through my 'stash' looking...

Thank you L for your conversation - it helped a great deal - and perhaps more then you would realise...

And thank you G for arranging the day - although it was short, it quenched a thirst somewhere in my soul...

An update on the Go LO orange yarn, it is now a very warm scarf -bordering on shawl with a long fringe. As I said to the G and L yesterday -it is my equivalent to a red hat

Both my daughters have said they wouldn't mind one so I guess it can't be all that bad...

No comments: