Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Another day...

I would like to express my appreciation firstly to G from Patra's Place, but then also to all those others who 'visited' and wished me well for my surgery and in general boosted my flagging spirits. I was touched by all the messages I received. The date for the surgery has not been finalised but there was a suggestion that it will be before Christmas. While I am not looking forward to it I can see the sense in having it 'over and done' and now I am endeavouring to prepare myself for it by staying as well as I can both physically and mentally.

Reading the messages put me in touch with other blogs I haven't visited before and it was great discovering new 'neighbours'...

Unfortunately Life has a way of demanding attention and between my health, employment and family matters, my stitching has taken 'the last cab off the rank' position. The only contact I seem to have with my needles and threads is when I move them from one place to another across the table. However that hasn't stopped me adding to my stash with a little cross stitch kit which I have admired for some time. There is something about these two little birds that has bought a smile to my face so I splurged out yet again.
Speaking about recent purchases has led me to a bit of a dilemma which I am not sure what to do about - if anything. I, from time to time purchase things from ebay and for the most part I have been more than happy at what I have received. A message here two or three back suggested that I had found a cross stitch design on ebay which I had seen stitched over on another blog I frequent. I was really happy to see the it was in kit form and went ahead with the bidding. It seemed very cheap but because I had some months ago been lucky enough to 'win' two other kits and which had been also very expensive retail price I was not unduly concerned that this kit was any different. People often buy kits with the best of intentions and then for what ever reason get sell them again. I won the auction which by the time postage and handling were involved came to just over $25.00 - not a huge amount. My first 'tinkling bell' was the fact that every email I received about it had a different name attached, then the bell got a little louder when a futher email suggested that it would take up tp 14 days delivery - this was from Queensland. I had my suspicions thinking that it might be an overseas import. It arrived a little under the time it specified, registered mail, well packed - from China. Once opened and the contents revealed it was a reasonable well presented and organised kit which included all that it specified with the original auction blurb. The threads are abundant and pre sorted onto a card, there are two small packets of beads, two needles and white 14 ct aida. What is my dilemma?? The kit is a 'look alike' Nora Corbett aka Mirabella Designs - a bit like a cheaper version of a Barbie doll. As I have opened the kit it is unlikely I can return it and I guess for a beginner stitcher such as myself it is not a bad deal as it includes everything. The threads are not DMC but a cheaper version as are the beads - the aida is pretty terrible and it would be something I would change mainly because I don't really like stark white 14ct. Now I wasn't 'offay' with the name Nora Corbett but her name and a photo of the Petal Fairy which I now know had obviously been taken from the Mirabilia site, appeared on the outside of the packaging. I 'googled' it and realised then that I had a reproduction work. I am concerned that if she has not given her permission for these cheaper reproductions then is she missing out on royalties etc. I have looked at the other kits this group is selling and they are all the same - cheaper reproductions of other designers. The group selling these may not be doing anything wrong, the only piece of misleading advertising is that the photo shown suggests that it is stitched on linen and the blurb says that it is 'stitchable cross stitch material' - one could assume that what is in the photo is what is in the kit - but everything else is what is states.
Perhaps I am just nit picking here - thinking logically about it there must be 'copycat' kits in needlework just like in any other form of industry - for want of a better word. Had I been aware it was a Mirabilia look alike would I have purchased it - not likely. There is also a mermaid which I have loved for ages but I would not buy that on principle now. I have wondered whether to inform the Mirabilia site that this is happening or whether just to put the whole thing down to experience. Any suggestions????

Yesterday G, E and I went out for the day. We went firstly to the Embroider's Guild Exhibition in Malvern. G and I walked around admiring all the wonderful and creative stitching and lamenting that we neither had the time nor at times the inclination to do any more than we both did - I hasten to add, that G is the far mor prolific stitcher out of the two of us. We then met up with E again and had a pleasant lunch and then did some serious op shop browsing. I took G back to a op-shop where I had once worked... It is still one of the more traditional op shops - stuffed full of an eclectic range of bits and pieces. We both did well here. I bought two small embroidered cloths - one pretty with a pale pink floral design and the other with a more oriental design - both these came to $13.00. I am looking forward to using them both. E found a couple of books and G, well I will let her tell you about her 'finds'. Thanks for the great day G - it seemed to take our minds off both our concerns - with good company and a few laughs.

LOL - I meant to add that at the Embroiderer's Guild shop I bought a glasses chain. Since having to wear glasses more often than not, I have the dreadful habit of putting them down only not being able to find them again. This was driving me nuts. I finally realised that I needed a chain to wear them on, but vowed that I would have a ritzy looking attachment to match my glasses - and yesterday I found it -very cool... Never let it be said I didn't go down without a fight!!!!!!

I am off in a couple of hours to have a CT scan of my nose - this is the second one - all in preparation for the surgery I am to have. This scan will up date the last one as well as providing 'a map' for the surgeon.

Sadly, I have come to admit to myself that my 'bags of fun' challenge will remain just that - a challenge. I just don't seem to have enough of the creative juices flowing to continue. I have lots of ideas, but little, or no physical inclination to get it moving. I have 'lurked' on the flickr site and marvel at the work that has been done there - I only wish I was more motivated. A very narrow squeak for a pair of jeans which will probably go back to the op shop legs intact...

I am excited about one of the new releases at the bookshop where I work. It is called 'The Book Thief' and is written by Marcus Zusak. He is a young Australian writer who has picked up an old theme and given it a new twist. I have a feeling that this might be 'my book' for the year. Last year it was 'The Shadow of the Wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafron and so far this year I have not found a title to supass it. I loved the whole concept of 'Shadow' and it fulfilled all my expctations of a good read and I was both elated and saddened when I turned the last page. 'Shadow' took me on a wonderful adventure starting in 1945 Barcelona and a visit to the secret Cemetery of Forgotten Books. I have recommnded it to many people and those who have read it get that glazed 'a feast of a read' look when 'Shadow' is mentioned. I hope I am not stacking too much expectation on 'The Book Thief'. I have already began a relationship with this title starting with some background reading about it and by handling a copy and looking at the text type, cover illustation and reading the back blurb. I have lifted a copy off the shelf and flicked through the pages and savoured the smell and feel of a new book with the antisipated adventure hidden within its pages. It calls to me unrelentingly - like a new lover I feel the excitement mounting until we are at last together. Next payday it will be mine - my precious - my lovely!!!! Am I obsessed - very!!!!!

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

If I were you :) I would send a copy of what you told us about the kit to the Mirabillia site and just see what they say. It could be legitimate, in which case no harm done and they'll be happy their stitchers care enough to notice, but, and I suspect the later will be the case, they may need to investigate. But that could just be my suspicious mind ;)

Your op shops sound much better than ours - they've all gone up market and have outpriced me :(

Sharon said...

Thanks Jacqui for your comment re Mirabilia... I am still not sure what I think about it all... LOL it must be our Virgo minds -perhaps because we are said to be perfectionists we like the rest of the world to be so as well...

I really wanted to do Petal Fairy - and of course the actual pattern is the same but for some reason (best known to me :? ) I can't help feeling that it is 'second best'...

Our op-shops have started to get very up market and 'santitised' I love the old sort where you have to get in and fossick for what you want... More of the thrill of the chase really... The one I mentioned in my blog is sort of a forgotten place - not a big concern - more of a local charity, just as important mind you but less commerical... When I worked there a few years ago I was the youngest - and I was in my 40's... When I think of the stuff that must have passed me by I could weep although in saying that I did manage to get some great bargains...