Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The first few stitches...


I have made a start on C's cross stitch. I have decided to keep some sort of log as I go on this one. In my mind I think that there is less of a chance it been put away and also I am curious to see how many hours it will take to complete. You wouldn't think however, to look at it, that this it is the best part of three and a half hours work. The section I am working on has been nearly all pink of one shade or another - I am looking forward to introducing more colours in the section which has the 'turned corner' - the pink 'blob' in the centre is part of the vertical stroke of the letter 'L' which is a capital. I will perhaps have to change the shade of pink at its top section as it is nearly the same shade as the aida - but I will make that decision further along. So far I have enjoyed the stitching and have developed a slow, but steady rhythm - almost to a meditative state. I have been stitching after P goes to work and the house is quiet - the birds in the park across the road add just the right accompainment to this hour or so of 'me time'. Morning it seems, is when I stitch best - my head is clear and I feel peaceful. A nice way to begin the day. I can 'see' one or two little gold butterflies 'fluttering' somewhere across this piece - they are not included on the original pattern - but it just feels right to include them. I am looking forward to seeing this piece develop...
Interesting enough C rang on Sunday night - after not hearing from her in a little while. We have been invited to she and R's house warming next weekend. Although I shouldn't be surprised at her phone call - she had been on my mind for days. We are like that - she and I...
Work's had developments - there will be a staff meeting next Monday night when all will be revealed. Hmmm - of late I am thinking more and more that life in the city is evolving more and more into a faster and more complex rat race. Perhaps I am kidding myself that life further out of Melbourne would be different - I would still have to work - that is a given - but surely it wouldn't be this continual grind - of feeling like I am going 'no where fast'. I want more quality time in my life - time to do more of what I want to do and less of what I have to do. Or is it that I am simply getting older and the things which seemed important are less so. Time for a seachange?
While I enjoy the job I have now I am less impressed with the intensifying retail 'got to get the consumer dollar at all costs' mentality. It seems as though the 'hierarchy' don't mind staff cutting as long as the (increasing) work load is met - this interesting turn of events has happened leading to the busiest time of the year and the introduction of a customer loyalty program. Somehow I think the customers would appreciate better customer service rather than a 'free' book which they pay for in other ways. Am I jaded? Perhaps - but on a larger scale - more disappointed in the way the world is turning. We are for the largest part being hoodwinked - and we just won't see it. Descending from my soap box now :-) ...
I may be off line for a few days - E's comp has taken another dive - so she and I will be 'sharing' until hers goes and returns from 'hospital'...

2 comments:

Anne S said...

Sorry to hear about your workplace - doesn't sound very positive ... but it rings a very familiar bell with me, that's for sure! The world is definitely changing - and not for the better. Our place is the same - we're given more and more work to take on board, but nothing extra for it ... we are now the internet help desk, take calls from all over the world 'cos our overseas offices are more limited in opening hours, ... oh heck I could go on forever, so I'll stop there! Hopefully things will settle down for you ... or if not, you'll work out what you need for your personal fulfilment. I think you're right, your perspective on life changes are you get older, and your priorities change - you don't put up with things you would have years ago ... oh, how I've been there of recent weeks! The day will come when you know what decision to make, and it feels 'right' :) Re your stitching, you could always look at putting a slightly darker shade of pink as a little backstitch on the top outline to get it more prominence? Might not work, but an option?

Sharon said...

Thanks for your comment A and your suggestion re stitching... I thought if it was ok with you I would send you my phone number via email... Perhaps we could catch up for a chat... Between your work hours and mine we should be able to find some 'common' time... Midnight??? LOL...