Sunday, November 15, 2009

2012 & a spider's web...


2012 Official Movie trailer
Uploaded by pannuzzio. - Watch feature films and entire TV shows.

We went to see the movie 2012 today. For those of you who don't know about it, the premise is based around the Mayan calendar which suggests that life on this planet is about to change come 21/12/2012 . Basically it predicts the end of the world as we know it - in the movie's tell it is in the worst possible way. There is the usual plot line - discovery of a catastrophe, estranged family, political conspiracies, a race against time, the chosen few (mainly those with billions of euros) who are going to be saved in luxury type 'Arks' and the human moral conscience. Lots of special effects and some little predictable bits - watch closely where the crack travels on the painting of God's finger touching Man - P and I picked up a few little 'mistakes' - that I guess if you are making a film about the end of the world you can afford to be liberal here and there...

I am not sure how I felt when the movie finished. Do I believe it - about the end of the world - not sure to be honest... I would like to think that it is all mythology but I do have this niggling doubt - for too long we have been too complacent about the damage we are doing to this planet - while it is suggested that this time around the Earth's destruction is based on a planetary aliment rather than man made tampering I am still not convinced. The human race as a whole does a lot more 'taking' than 'giving' and as I write this I am less sure - we - the human race - are invincible - that is truly a myth. What do we do now? I guess the trick is to keep going - if it is going to happen whether it be 2012 or tomorrow - we have to keep moving forward with perhaps a little more stillness at times and an appreciation for the 'finer' things in life - hence my very bad photo of this morning's find in the garden...




2 comments:

Gina E. said...

I'm glad you put the link to the trailer; this is a film that I do NOT want to see. Ken will no doubt love it for the special effects, but I just don't want any more reminders of a possible future. I don't think it matters if the human race perishes. I just hope animals, birds and insects, and their habitat will survive. If that means Mother Nature sends an epidemic to kill us humans off without disturbing the ecosystem, that's all to the ultimate good of the planet. I'm sickened by what humans have done and continue to do, but on the other hand, there are many people who are doing a lot of good too...

Gina E. said...

Sorry - meant to comment on your photo too - what a lovely shot. This should survive - not the Rialto or the Empire State Building!!