Monday, December 27, 2010

On the SECOND day AFTER Christmas...

Today was the day I promised myself all through those l-o-n-g pre Christmas customer service days. My oasis - after the rush of Christmas - a day in bed! It was to be my day of unapologetic sloth.The weather even obliged me - grey and chilly not an inducement for me to leave my cosy nest. As I arranged the pillows around me and wiggled further under the doona I thought this is just Bliss with a capital B!!!!

I took the opportunity to do my next favorite thing - read.. What did I read I hear you ask - "Her Fearful Symmetry" written by Audrey Niffenegger. I found it at the library a couple of weeks ago when I was there. I wasn't sure that I would like it as it had had mixed reviews from a couple of people who had read it - but surprisingly I did... Left me with a bit of an odd unsettled feeling though - not unlike wisps of a dream which curl around long after you wake up... I haven't read any other of Audrey Niffenegger's work - her most famous being "The Time Traveller's Wife" so I couldn't make a comparison. However I genuinely liked her characters - they were well drawn - peculiarities and all which I guess in turn makes them more believable. Perhaps the ones who touched me the most was Martin and his wife Marijke and of course Robert Fanshaw and Valentina Poole.

The plot is essentially about love, loss, the striving for identity and family secrets with a ghost as the pivotal character... The backdrop is London and the immediate surroundings of the story is the famous Highgate Cemetery. Worth a read if you are looking for something a little different...

One of my 2011 resolutions is to try and do a little more of what I have done today - I haven't felt this relaxed in a long time. Now I'm off to have a look through the pile of books beside the bed and choose another one... There are two which are equal contenders with a third following close. My goal was to read three books before I went to work - one down, two to go...

S xx

1 comment:

Gina E. said...

I was wondering if you had actually achieved that goal after telling me you planned to spend Boxing day in bed - glad to hear it worked out so well!
So, has Pete started any jigsaws, and have you started a To do list??