Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A mid week pause..

I know it is a variation on an old theme -but I liked it anyway... We have a collection of soft toys and who should pop up between them but our Matilda...

As I suspected once I went back to work 'normal viewing was resumed'. We are all concerned to what the future is going to bring us and we are sad that as a staff we will be flung to the four corners... As one of the younger casuals commented that despite a large age gap we all get on extremely well and there is rarely disharmony. In my time there I have seen most of these casuals tentatively approach the desk for the interview and then I have witnessed a growth and maturing as they settled into another phase of their lives when they have come to work for us I will miss 'the kids' as I call them. I appreciate listening to their views on life and I think it keeps me with at least a link to their generation.

With all the speculation about the shop closing, it has made me reflective about my work life now that there is the likelihood of it changing. While I wish I didn't have to work as much or at least not full time, I again appreciate that I do work. I don't think that my personality is the kind to stay home permanently - I find after a little while I get 'cabin fever'. I know that I need the stimulation that going out to work brings - whether it is with the work itself, talking to other people or just having a purpose for each day... While I would like to know what will be happening with the shop I am endeavouring to take it one day at a time - I guess there will be time enough for its conclusion...

I have read a couple more books Jasper Jones written by Craig Silvey and Indelible Ink written by Fiona McGregor. Both great reads and I would highly recommend them... Each quite different however the central theme being about people and circumstances that they find themselves in. I am currently reading Sanctus written by Simon Toyne - it is a March 2011 release. Sanctus is the first book in a trilogy - it has been described (on the inside cover) as "an apocalyptic conspiracy thriller". I am in about 160 pages but not sure what I think so far. The chapters are only three and four pages long so that the 'landscape' is constantly changing... The characters at this point don't have very much "history" but I am sure they will develop depth as the book proceeds. This year I am trying to read more and be a little more selective as I go. It is always a bit of a trap when the reading copies come into the shop ahead of general release - you want to read them first -but I have a number of books I would like to read as well. Ahhh - so many books and so little time...

Today is Australia Day - a holiday for most people... Traditionally a day for get togethers, BBQ's and a little down time... I am taking full advantage of the mid week pause to do a little stitching, a little reading and generally be a sloth on the couch...

Take care all

S xx

No comments: